Thursday, May 10, 2007

Lay a Foundation

Yesterday I had the privilege of attending my great uncle, Wilbur Hoak’s, funeral. You might say, awe, that’s sad, but it wasn’t. It was exciting! My Uncle Wilbur was 96 years old and today would have been his 80th spiritual birthday!! On top of that, he was ordained for 71 years! The only thing I can say to that is, wow! And listen to this: he taught an adult Sunday School class up until last year when he was 95. He gave his life for Christ – every ounce he had.

On the other hand, yesterday morning before the funeral I read a story in 2 Samuel 21. In this chapter, Israel had been facing three years of famine and David went before God to ask why the famine was taking place. God informs him that it was the result of Saul’s disobedience in trying to annihilate the Gibeonites. God tells David that he needs to make peace with the Gibeonites. So one thing leads to another and he turns 8 of Saul’s male descendents over to the Gibeonites. They then kill all 8 descendents in response to Saul’s actions and lay them out before the Lord.

Reading that story and then sitting through the funeral really drove something home for me. Our actions now are laying a foundation for the generations to come. Saul had been killed in battle and was long gone, but those 8 male descendents definitely felt the effects of Saul’s disobedience. The foundation Saul had laid was one of disobedience and destruction. My Uncle Wilbur was a church planter, pastor, and teacher for 70+ years! It’s because of his life and the lives of other godly men and women in my family that I am where I am today. Without the godly foundation that was laid for me, I don’t know where I would be. I am so thankful for those who have gone before me and am compelled to continue to lay a solid, godly foundation for the generations that follow me! And what’s even more amazing about God’s timing is that my Uncle passed away the Sunday after I was ordained myself!! Here’s to 71 more years!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Cool thoughts Nick. It really makes me think about wanting to lay a good foundation for my future children and set a godly example for them to follow.